“I’ve always subscribed to the ‘if you dish it out, you’ve got to take it’ philosophy,” the 55-year-old former “America’s Got Talent” judge wrote.
“But my three sons told me they too are all being targeted, and sent me screenshots of venomous abuse and threats of violence towards them,” he wrote of adult sons Spencer, Albert and Stanley.
“One troll vowed to murder me in front of them, and added: ‘When your dad dies, the world will have a party,’” he recalled.
The threats “made my stomach churn, especially as police are already investigating a death threat made to me and my eldest boy Spencer last month,” he wrote.
He was referring to a screenshot he shared on Feb. 16 of a death threat received by Spencer, which also threatened the son and his mother. London’s Metropolitan Police confirmed to The Independent at the time that the threats were being investigated.
The former tabloid editor insisted that none of his sons “even care about Meghan Markle, let alone agree with my views on her.”
“Yet the Twitter troll mob has found them guilty by association,” he said.
In his lengthy first-person piece, Morgan admitted that he regrets storming out of his then-show, “Good Morning Britain,” during a row about the Oprah special with Markle and Prince Harry.
“I knew it wasn’t a good look, the great snowflake-basher running away from confrontation. And on reflection, I shouldn’t have done it,” he wrote.
He said their cases were “about a far bigger issue than one delusional Duchess,” instead reflecting “everyone’s right to be free to express our honestly held opinions, forcefully and passionately if we feel like it.”
“If our rights to free speech are denied, then democracy as we know it will die,” he wrote.
“It’s time to cancel the cancel culture before it kills our culture.”